Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Week 1 EOC: Best and Worst Jobs

I will start off with some of the bad experiences I have endured during my time being employed at varies locations and coorperations. Back in 2010 I had just recently moved to Colorado and I was recently employed by Vans (skate company) and I had requested a transfer. I started working at Vans at my local mall and for the first couple months it was going fantastic. Management was very clear on what the goals were for the store and what was expected of the employees. We had received news that we would be hiring a new GM (general manager). We were all very open minded but the new GM had very little experience with actual management but we were still willing to give her a chance. it was a total disaster. We would not reach our goals because she was always striking conversations with the employees distracting them from making sales. She would approach certain employees with a nasty attitude and start confronting them about problems in front of customers. She would also make employees including myself do unnecessary tasks such as cleaning the employee restroom during peak hours of the mall rush. I spoke up to the supervisor about these issues and he ignored them and put the blame on the employees. I eventually ended up leaving and found a better job.

Now for one of the best, was the job I had right after the one mentioned above. I started working as a housekeeper at a assisted living home for seniors. I started working as a housekeeper for about 4 months. My supervisor was very impressed with my work and had mentioned to me if I wanted to move up and was interested in working as a caregiver. I accepted the opportunity and starting working under a new supervisor. She was amazing. She had a very well connection to all of the caregivers and was clear on what we had to do to make life for the senior citizens better. I excelled at my job for about a year. Later, my supervisor took me in and asked if I wanted to go even higher in the company as a medical technician. She explained that it held a lot more responsibility and that I would be working alone as I would be working the overnight shift. I accepted the opportunity and started my training immediately. I started working overnight as the medical technician and it was difficult at first but once I got the hang of it, it was fun and an excellent work experience.

My supervisor explained to me that if I had any problems in the middle of the night with any medications, to give her a call. I only had to call her on the occasion that I had to send a patient out to the hospital but other than that the communication between supervisors was flawless and that is what I believed lacked severely in the job I had at Vans.

No comments:

Post a Comment